Thursday, September 11, 2008

 

Missing Dog in Swampscott

A neighbor of mine has a dog, named Junior, that escaped from its yard today, 9/11, and has not been found yet. It's a terrier that looks something like this:

Source.

This is not the dog, it just looks similar - with black and tan fur. It's listed as a Yorkshire Terrier on the missing sheet, but I actually think it's a Silky Terrier, because it weighs 15 pounds (people often think Silky's are Yorkshires, but Yorky's weigh 4-6 pounds). It's a wicked cute, friendly dog - both the breed and this one in particular.

I spent an hour or so tonight looking for it, after I saw all the signs posted that its missing, because I have basically the same kind of dog - except that mine's a female. They're by far my favorite breed - spunky, friendly, they're just gorgeous dogs. It hit so close to home that it's missing. My dog's escaped from my yard a few times and each time I've been in a panick. Luckily, she's never gone far. It's tough to make yards escape proof - they always manage to find a way. I couldn't think of that many things that would be more horrible than losing my dog.

If people see a dog off the leash that could be Junior, the missing terrier, please grab it and either get in touch with the owner or call the police. If anyone sees any barking or yelping, but can't see the dog, then try to investigate it. Often times missing dogs (especially small onees) can get stuck in some of the darnest places - storm drains, garages, all over. I tend to notice that my dog, when she's scared or hurt, has a very, very high pitched yelp that doesn't sound anything like a bark and isn't particularly loud. Given that the dogs are similar, I wouldn't be surprised if this dog has a similar yelp.

It was last seen in its yard, which is on the corner of Buena Vista and Burpee Road - right near Machon school, new high school and the Projects. If anyone reading this lives in the area, or if anyone in Swampscott or the nearby areas of Lynn see the dog (it's very close to Lynn by Eastern Ave.), grab it if you can, or email me or call the police. I forgot to copy down the owner's phone number, but it's just around the corner and I'll get right in touch with them if I hear anything.

Update: 3 days later and the signs are down. I don't know if it was the rain, or if my neighbor gave up, but I'm going to choose to think the dog was safely found and hope that I see him leading his leash on a nice walk through the neighborhood very soon.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?